The Reader- A rather perplexing journey

I watched the movie The Reader last Friday and it left me perplexed. I'm unsure about how I feel about the film and the way it approached its subject. The film is about a young boy who has an affair with an older woman. Later on in his life he happens upon her trial and he is keeping a secret of his own. I think the film brought up a lot of tough questions and I'm not sure if there is a good answer or a perfect response.

1. Would it be possible for someone who was a Nazi guard, who was responsible for the deaths of Jewish prisoners to achieve some sort of forgiveness? Can this person be redeemed?

2. Could that same person ever re-enter society and function as a normal human being?

3. Is the next generation doomed to repeat or doomed to forget the past?

Watch the movie and let me know what your thoughts are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implications of interracial couples on TV

What New Year’s Resolutions? Start today!

Oh boy, them Dodgers!