What New Year’s Resolutions? Start today!

Every time a New Year rolls around we all seem to want to make some kind of New Year’s resolutions. How about this one? Why wait till New Year’s when you can start today? I’ve resolved that we shouldn’t have to wait to get started. We all know what we want to accomplish. For instance for myself, I’ve resolved that I will lay the foundation for big changes that will improve and enhance my life. I will not be waiting till New Year’s. I’m starting today and so can you!

Lately, I’ve come across this idea of why we don’t get what we want and why we continue to suffer. I had a friend who was going to lose her job because her company was relocating to Arizona. They gave her the option of moving to Arizona and work over there. She at first decided that she was going to do it, and had started making plans. A month to go before the move and she starts having panic attacks. Fear had taken a firm grip on her mind, and she became convinced that she could not handle the move.

Fear is a very powerful notion. Fear can convince us that we are not capable of doing what our heart wants us to do. Fear is a paralyzer and probably much worse than a sting by a jellyfish. We have to ask ourselves, if I want to have the life that I desire can I allow fear to get in the way? It’s a like being a hamster on an exercising wheel. You keep going around and around non-stop. How can you move forward if you are going in circles? You have to decide to step off the wheel.

I’m reminded of an episode of Quantum’s Leap. I vaguely remember the story, but the ending had to do with this girl making a decision to follow her heart and pursue a career in music. She asks Sam (Scott Bakula) at the end, but what if she fails? He tells her you won't know if you've failed if you don't try. If you don’t try, then you will look back and always think what if?

The key thing is if there is something you want starting making a plan. Outline what the need to do to get there and make it happen. Who knows if it will work out or not? Isn’t it better to try and know then not to try and think what if? In the words of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, “Don’t dream it, just be it”!

Comments

Susan Rienzo said…
So your friend didn't move to Arizona? It IS a scary move but I did it and am happy. If she did, she should check this out:

http://www.examiner.com/transplants-in-phoenix/susan-rienzo
Tanya L said…
Susan,

No my friend did not make the move. The fear of the unknown and moving to a place where she didn't know anyone got to her. Glad that you made a choice that worked for you. Happy Holidays!
Susan said…
Thanks!
Great blog, by the way!

Happy Holidays to you too,
Susan

Popular posts from this blog

Implications of interracial couples on TV

Oh boy, them Dodgers!