Eat Pray Love Review

I had bought this book sometime last year and just had a chance to finally read it. I had five people tell me already how much they enjoyed the book. It seems to have struck a nerve for some people and I wanted to see if it would have the same effect on me. I enjoyed the section in Italy. Part of the reason could be that I wanted to know if she was going to have a torrid affair with an Italian guy. Alas she did not, I guess it keeps it from going the Under the Tuscan Sun (movie version) route and avoids all those tourist cliches. Another part that I enjoyed was when she was describing the pizza she bought in Naples. Man, I could only wish that slice of pizza had manifested itself in real life. Now I really got to save up and travel! The India section was the weakest part of the book for me. I didn't buy the whole New Age conversion--that the constant meditation changed her spiritual well-being. Is it really about meditating that changes one's life or is it the opportunity to be a fish out of water in a new land? To be taken out of our element and introduced to new things? The Indonesian chapter had the most interested cast of characters. She studies with a medicine healer and ends up making friends with a woman and her child. The woman ends up needing financial assistance so she can take her medicine shop elsewhere. There were moments where the lady healer had me laughing. She was so right on with her diagnosis about Elizabeth. However, the book took a dark turn as we find out the healer is taken advantage of Elizabeth. I was surprised by this, because I had expected the typical American comes into save the day. Everything sort of works itself out and we do get our romantic ending. I heard there is a sequel to this book and I will definetly pick it up for a quick read. I recommend the book only for the Italy and Indonesia section. Anybody else read this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implications of interracial couples on TV

Oh boy, them Dodgers!

Scandoval: 7 Seasons in the Making