Lessons Hollywood Should learn from 2023

Superhero and other franchises struggled this year. I think the answer can be found in a couple of movies that came out this year. The success of Godzilla minus One. Godzilla is one of the longest running franchises in history and you want to know why? Toho Studios knows when to pull back. When the movies aren't doing well or interest wanes they put Godzilla on ice for 5-10 years. Instead of a Star Wars movie and tv show each year, why not do a trilogy and then wait 5-10 years to start another? Instead of doing back to back 10 year story arcs for superhero movies why not do stand alone movies or mini story arcs. I think when Avengers Endgame happen people were like great. We made it through this series! They weren't thinking, "Yeah, I can't wait for 25-30 movies to reach another conclusion". The audience attention spans have worn thin and they are looking for something new. It doesn't mean the era of superheroes is over, it's people are looking for something they haven't seen yet. I think that's why Super Mario Bros. was a hit. It's been decades since the first movie came out and it's a story that lends it self better as an animated movie than a live action.

I just watch The Creator on Hulu and learned it only cost 80 million to film. Way less than other films these days that cost upwards 300 million. I tried to watch Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, but I couldn't get into it. I found the CGI backgrounds to be distracting and I hated the de aging process on Harrison Ford. I think I stopped after 45 minutes and switched to The Creator. The story could use improvement, but I was impressed that it was shot on location with CGI added in. It looked amazing considering the 300 mil that was spent on Indy. I thought the young girl and John David Washington were amazing in this one. I wish we had more of Gemma Chan. I loved and discovered her from watching the tv show Humans. If you have a chance watch that show. 

I have read many online think pieces saying the movie industry is dying. I don't think it is. It's the perfect time for innovation and taking chances on a small scale. I think a wide variety of films instead of an endless streams of remakes, reboots, and endless sequels are in order. I also think it's time to start some new franchises. It's time for a new guard and a new generation of filmmakers to come to the forefront. Hollywood, it's time to take more chances!

Comments

I agree! I am so tired of some director deciding to remake yet another film from the 70s or 80s. Leave the classic films alone! There are plenty of great stories and books out there that would make wonderful films, make some of those.

Popular posts from this blog

Implications of interracial couples on TV

Oh boy, them Dodgers!

One Line Slams